Friday, February 19, 2010

Burton City, British Columbia

It was spring and I applied to the Presbyterian Mission Board to send me to British Columbia.

The answer read: “We do not usually send student-pastors from the East but you are appointed to Burton City B.C.” I was very happy for the chance I had to see the Western most province of Canada. The trip took me to the famous famous Rocky Mountains, Banff, Lake Louise and the Co naught Tunnels.

little lakeside village of Burton on the lower Arrow Lake

I went by train to Arrow Head…from there I took a boat and sailed to Burton City, and to my amazement the city was made up of the post office, a farm co-operative and a hotel plus a manse… for the minister who was to occupy it and to cook his meals.

(Pascal may have mean Arrow Lakes …I am not sure but this is Link to the area)

The village had more men than women. There was a super abundant mass of mosquitoes. This was due to the fact of the fast melting snow had inundated much of the land. This put most of the swamps under water and as the water evaporated the mosquitoes infested the area. I have never seen so many dead or alive. This overflow was due to the fact that the level of the Arrow Lakes had risen 29 feet and so flooded more places than usual. There were two boats on the lakes, one going south and one going north the boats kept us in touch with the rest of the world. The nearest village was Nakusp, British Columbia.

I stayed in a log cabin, which the people called a Manse. I cooked, washed and so forth… I called on the people by foot. I had two churches, the services were held one in Burton City at 11:00 am and after that service I had my dinner and walked the three miles and crossing the lake to hold the 2nd service. I conducted the service and then crossed the lake again in the boat and walked home.

Often on my way home I took off my shoes and walked. One of the great experiences was to see and eat the cherries- I had not seen or eaten for many years.

No comments: