Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The 25 Dollar Gift


Another fond memory of Dr. DiFlorio’s short time in the western part of Canada that he recalled when he was very ill with Parkinson’s Disease.


Another experience…

I found the people very friendly their cordiality and informality was appreciated. When I called upon a family I was often urged to stay for dinner, or supper. About a week before I left the area the people planned for a get together. In the course of events, there were speeches. The lady who presided spoke words of appreciation, she said, “that in the years they had come together they had never attended services.” After the speeches I was presented with a $25 gift. Moreover, she herself had undergone a change in that she had thought of the Italians as ditch-diggers. She said, “Thank God, you have opened my eyes.”

Before I precede any further I must say that the last few days seemed very long because I wanted to see Margaret. During the summer we had corresponded and grown to love each other. A good part of the summer Margaret visited her aunt Margaret and family in Brandon, Manitoba.



Because of the acceptance from the Presbyterian Board of Missions, in Toronto and Pascal’s appointment to Kingsland, Saskatchewan, Alberta my grandfather seemed to enjoy his 20 weeks spent out in the western Prairie Land of Canada. It could be that his memories were just that much sweeter due to his appointment coming after such a stinging blow when the Methodist Board of Missions refused him with the reason given per Dr. Manning (who the good Dr. had never met or spoken with Pascal.) Dr Manning said my grandfather did not have “good English.”



No comments: