Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pascal's new job as a Colporteur...

As I became more proficient in English; and, as I learned more about the Bible, I decided to study for the ministry. Because of my decision I was presented to the Official Board of the Italian Methodist Church; and, was accepted as “Student on Probation.” Apart from my regular studies, I studied subjects which when completed would qualify me as a Minister in a French Ministry.

I was employed as a Colporteur- selling Scriptures, for the Bible House. This was a great experience for me. I traveled in the province of Quebec. I was to sell, or give away portions of Scriptures if the person interviewed showed a desire to have them. I traveled, mostly walking, through the Province and the people were mostly French Canadian and spoke French only. My command of the French language came in handy.

With my knapsack that I carried the Scriptures I walked along, and as I needed more scriptures I sent orders to the Bible House in Montreal designating the address and date that I expected to arrive in order to pick up the parcel.

While traveling I encountered many different experiences. One day, late in the afternoon I found myself a few miles from a village; but, near a house occupied by a middle-aged couple. So I rushed to the door and asked if I could stay until the storm was over. The storm lasted longer then expected and it was getting dark so I asked if I could stay; they refused. However, they gave me some milk and bread and said I could stay in the barn; so I left and went into their barn, with the milk and bread wrapped up in my knapsack with the scriptures. After my supper I laid down on the hay. During the night the rats kept me company. One of them even jumped over me. In the morning I washed my face in a little creek nearby and proceeded toward Saint Anne de Beaupre, one of the famous shrines of the Roman Catholic Church.

No comments: