Saturday, October 24, 2009

My experience near the Shrine of Saint Anne de Beaupre...

I proceeded towards the Shrine of Saint Anne de Beaupre, one of the famous shrines of the Roman Catholic Church. Once there I observed many groups of people that came from a distance walking along and singing. Most of the pilgrims knelt as they entered the church and on their knees they took themselves to the statue of Saint Anne. Many hoped for miracles- and why not! Displayed were hundreds of artificial limbs, which were indication of miracles performed by Saint Anne.

After this I went to a camp for workers who were building a road along the Saint Lawrence River. This was to lead to Murrey Bay. As I went along I came to a group of temporary buildings, which served as, an office and sleeping quarters. Here I met a road engineer who invited me to his office.

The road engineer inquired about what I was doing, I told him about my mission. This man asked me my opinion. I told him "it seemed that the people were poor and superstitious; yet, they had very costly church buildings. Moreover, the people had to pay for Baptisms, Funerals, and weddings."

Upon hearing this the gentleman said, “this is not so, get out!” And he said “If you were not an Italian I would throw you in the Saint Lawrence River.”

To this I replied, “Sir, you invited me to your office and asked me for my opinion.” “This I have given you! I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings.” And I left.

As I left I noticed a gang of men that was speaking to the road engineer, they looked my direction. I was afraid, so I hid myself behind some nearby bushes. After a while it seemed safe and I proceeded on my way.

No comments: