Friday, October 2, 2009

Awaiting Word....

After getting help from both Rev. Laidman and Dr. Lattoni , I was awaiting word from the Principal, Dr. Paul Villard so I could join the French Methodist Institute.

I could barely wait for the day when I would receive word from the admissions department that I could attend school there. The French Methodist Institute was a boarding school for the primary purpose of teaching the sons and daughters of the French Canadian ministers.

I attended the Sunday church. The service was in Italian and Dr Lattoni was an eloquent preacher.

Dr Lattoni went with me several times to help me reach a settlement with the Corrugated Iron Company, for the loss of my fingers. The last time we spoke with the manager he belittled my loss. We, Dr. Lattoni and myself suggested a one time, one-thousand dollar settlement; to which, the manager responded “ I would give my right arm for one-thousand dollars!”

I stumbled with Italian and English words when I replied, “Sir, I hope that someday somebody will cut not only your arm, but your head also; and, also for nothing.”

So I don’t know what the manager heard; but, together with my fervent expression he paid the 1000.00 dollars.

In January of 1909 I was admitted to the French Methodist Institute. There were 140 boys and girls. The course offered was intended to cover material from the first grade to university entrance.

This I covered in six years.

* Click ... Dr. Paul Villard - here or above to see a statement from the Principle about the “mission” of the French Institute School. This information from Dorothy Nixon’s Web Page.
* Please visit Dorothy Nixon’s web page to see some of her other interesting work. Dorothy had done extensive historical and educational research and writing.
Click Dorothy Nixon or paste http://www.tighsolas.ca

No comments: