Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Year was 1915...



Family and friends expected Pascal to be in the new land 4 or 5 years…and come back to Italy and become a Priest of the Catholic Church, by 1915 he was 5 years overdue with what seemed a complete conversion a believer in Christ…NOT A Priest of the Catholic Church.

The year was 1915 and I took an examination for university entrance. I was successful; hence, was admitted to the Wesleyan College and McGill University in the fall of the year.

Life was quite different after I had enrolled for the degreed programs, a Bachelor of Arts, and Bachelor of Divinity. I roomed in the Wesleyan College and bought my meals at the college dining room.

The years I spent there were rewarding. I met many students from other parts of the world. Many students and some professors joined the army because of the nations at war.

The First World War (WWI) broke in 1914, and I entered college in 1915. My address was 750 University St. Montreal, Que. Canada. The summer came and I worked in Montreal so I was able to keep my room on University Street.

Two of the summers while in school I lived in Notre Dame the Grace, with a Grieco family. In exchange for my room and board I taught family members English. The family had a garden that I was able to help take care of, for this I had free access to the vegetables. This I did for two or three years, after which I applied for a church in the Western part of Canada.

I applied to the Methodist Board of Missions. The reply was negative. The reason given was that I did not have “good English.” The man in charge, Dr. Manning, had never seen me; and, Dr Manning had never heard me speak.

Interesting missionary story of the many Methodist that worked in the Western part of Canada during the turn of the century- click …Smoky Lake History a nice web site that is worth a look…copy and paste www.smokylake.com/history/

So I applied to the Presbyterian Board of Missions, in Toronto. A few days later I received a letter that said, “You are appointed to Kingsland, Saskatchewan, Alberta." "Further information will follow." Sever days later I was informed that The Board would pay my traveling expenses plus 10 dollars per week.

This new position was offered at the same time I had met a young lady, Miss Margaret MacLaurin.


This is another web page worth a look life as a circuit riders this web site is interesting…this is a quote from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~methodists/circuit.htm

Even with the establishment of churches, the circuit rider continued to be an important person. He covered a wide territory on horseback and made many pastoral visits. Methodist circuit riders met with people on the edge of a forest, in a shanty or in a local home. The early missionaries, or circuit riders, were heroes. Carrying their few possessions in their saddlebags, they rode hundreds of miles, braved extreme hardships, even risked their lives, to reach the Indians and those settlers from Europe and the British Isles who had made their homes in tiny, isolated communities in the wilderness. These saddlebag preachers had no fixed homes, were dependant on their co-religionists for food and shelter, and received a salary of $100 to $200 a year.
Saskatchewan teacher recounts story of a blizzard in 1919 … the harsh environment
MY NARROWEST ESCAPE
Alameda, Sask (1919)

"In spite of the terrifying experience I am going to tell about, one of my pleasantest memories is of the winter I spent in Saskatchewan, teaching in a small rural school with eleven pupils."

Click Saskatchewan for story
or paste address http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansk/school/My-Narrow-Escape.html

No comments: