Monday, November 2, 2009

My experience during the Summer of 1914 proved to be a Valuable one...


The little book of the Gospel according to St. John the Apostle was connected by the people to Saint Joan of Arc; when I talked about St. John the people gave credit to Saint Joan of Arc.
The people knew little about the Gospel and the teachings of Jesus. They had their prayer book. Very few people knew the English language; and called it, La Mauvaise Langue,” meaning- The Bad Language. They almost venerated their priests.

(I had to look up the word… Venerated...good thing I did as I do not know Latin!)
Definition of Venerate: to honor in recognition of qualities of holiness, excellence, wisdom.


After five months, from the first of May to the end of September I returned to Montreal and reported to the secretary of the Bible Society. On the basis of the reported activities, scriptures sold, scriptures donated and conversations carried on with the people of that territory I had visited it was thought I had carried on a good experiment.


Upon my return to Montreal I began again to look for work and many times it seemed that the efforts were in vain. Yet in the end I managed to earn more or less enough to meet my obligations.

Soon after my return I was accepted a probationer for the ministry by our Italian Methodist Church and by the District Conferences. I was appointed by the District to do some missionary work among the Italians in and around the city of Montreal.

My missionary work was to preach on Sundays, visit homes showing religious and educational pictures and teach night school classes in English. I also accompanied people, who did not know how to speak English to help them secure work. The result of this work was... some of the people came to church. This type of service seemed to be appreciated.

No comments: