Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saskatchewan Life in the Vast Prairie of Canada

Saskatchewan Kingsland

This part of Canada with its vast prairie land was all new to me. I had three places that I preached; Kingsland was the center of my operation. To do what was expected of me during the week, I made pastoral calls to individuals in my territory. I would cover 35 miles and preach three sermons on Sundays.

By special arrangement my board was provided by the three churches. At the close of the last evening service, I would stay at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ard; they were parishioners of one of the churches. The following morning I would set out early and return to Kingsland, a distance of 15 miles.

The three churches also provided transportation for me. A horse. I did not know the first thing about horses. The horse belonged to the Bronco family. The first day I rode the horse it seemed to be going well at first but all of a sudden the horse swung to one side of the road to avoid some hay, the noise the buggy made frightened the horse. From that time on I knew that if the buggy squeaks it would then scare the horse.


In order to get in the home where I was stayed- I would have to tie the reins of the horse to the fence or post, that way if the horse was spooked by the sound he would not run away. One morning as I was coming home I dismounted the horse, and the horse started to eat some grass before I tied him to the fence post, so I put the reins down on the ground and proceeded to open the gate…The wheel of the buggy made a noise and the horse dashed for the protection of the barn. For some reason the horse passed between the pump of the well and some farm equipment- then the buggy detached from the harness…and only God knows how…the horse came to a stop. It was a miracle that the Bronco’s three-year-old daughter who ALWAYS came out to greet me was not around.

No comments: